Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Food Log for the day

Breakfast:
1 cup of coffee with soy milk and stevia

1 Monster Green Smoothie:
  • 2 bananas
  • 1/4 of a fresh pineapple
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 1 handful of baby spinach
  • 1 scoop of Michael's Super Defense Food Powder
Morning Snack
1 piece of peanut butter toast
1 glass of water

Lunch:
2 vegan Italian sausages (Lightlife)
1 red bell pepper
1/2 vidalia onion
3/4 cup of chunky tomato sauce
2 glasses of water

Afternoon Snack#1:
1 bottle of raspberry Guayakai Yerba Mate (16 oz)



Afternoon Snack#2:
1 glass of water
2 oz Terra Stripes and Blues Chips

Wow, these are really good!

I love Terra chips; their exotic vegetable chips, like sweet potato
, yucca and taro chips are outstanding. These are no exception.


Dinner:
1 monster Green Smoothie
  • 2 bananas
  • 1/4 of a fresh pineapple
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 1 oz of spinach
  • 1 scoop of Michael's Super Defense Food Powder




Notes:
  • My earlier blog post has got me all het-up over this issue of food-activism. I'm no wide-eyed naïf (ha!) but even I, in all my jaded cynicism, was surprised by the level of corruption and greed between the U.S. government and the food industry. Before reading these books, I had actually thought that the government had more power than it does, and that there could be no way that our elected representatives would let the rights of the many (read: all of us) be outweighed by the interests of a few wallets.

    How revolting that it's not so.


  • The girls had Tofupups for lunch. Now over the years I've bought tofupups, smart dogs or Yves's brand of meatless hot dogs more often than regular meat hot dogs, mostly because I found the idea regular of hot dogs, that is, stuffing all the leftover bits of "whatever's left and then some" to be pretty revolting.

    In all that time, the girls have never complained about tofu dogs tasting yucky or meaty franks being better, so there ya go. :)

    The way I see it, a good deal of the flavoring in any sausage is in the spices, not the particular meat. Very often sausage makers used heavy spicing to disguise what sort of meat and other stuff was inside the casing.

  • They've been asking me for deli meats for their lunches. Now, Lightlife and Yves do make fake ham and turkey deli slices, but compared to the deli counter, it's not exactly frugal. Still, I'll see what I can do. I need to get them involved in coming up with creative lunch ideas to fill their laptop lunchbox Bento boxes.

  • I have become seriously hooked on these Green Smoothies. I get so that I crave it during the day now.

    Wegman's had organic bananas on sale for 69¢/lb, and the regular bananas were 49¢/lb, so I bought four bunches of the organic bananas, at only 20¢ more per pound. Totally worth it. I got two containers of cored organic pineapple, and a huge 11-oz package of organic baby spinach. I've been using the smaller scoop that came with the Michael's powder and haven't felt it to be overpowering at all.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails