Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 32: June 18th

Today is the 8th anniversary of my son's birth and death and I'll be going to the cemetery later on, so this will be short and sweet.

It's rainy, cold and gloomy out, a fitting parallel of my mood. I needed a hearty breakfast this morning, and decided to veganize one of my comfort food breakfasts: Scrambled Eggs with Onion & Tomato.

Scrambled Tofu with Onion and Tomato





Ingredients:
  • 2 T olive oil*
  • 1/2 block of extra firm tofu (I like nasoya organic tofu best)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 2 T nutritional yeast
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Put the olive oil in a pan and turn the heat to medium-high.

  2. Drain the tofu and blot it with a paper towel.

  3. Crumble the tofu into the pan and saute until it's nicely golden-brown.

  4. Push the tofu to the sides of the pan and add the chopped onion and saute until translucent.

  5. Add the tomato and stir the mixture together.

  6. Stir in the onion powder, garlic powder and turmeric and mix well.

  7. Fold in the nutritional yeast, making sure that everything is well coated. Let it cook for about a minute more, then plate.

  8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

*Unlike Rachael Ray, you'll never see me prance around the kitchen calling it EVOO.


Notes:
  • It looks amazingly like the real deal scrambled eggs, thanks to the turmeric and nutritional yeast.

  • I always preferred my eggs on the dry side which is why I did not opt for any additional moisture, but if you like yours creamier, you can whisk your nutritional yeast into some warm soy milk or soy creamer first and then add it to the tofu and vegetable mixture.

  • I may try something like this in my quest to make the perfect vegan omelette. Omelettes were my favorite egg-based dish. If I coudl recreate their essence with tofu I would be very happy indeed.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails