Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 7: A whole week in!

7 days in and I've only had one serious craving for non-vegan food, and that was totally a stress-related craving, not a hunger one. I'm still struggling with what the best choice is for breakfast to set the stage for a good blood sugar level. Also, I think I could probably drop that one cup of coffee in the morning now if I really wanted to, going to every other day and then none at all. But I like my morning cuppa, so it stays for now until I find something better to replace it with. Yerba mate maybe.

Breakfast:
1 banana
1 glass of water
1 cup of coffee with soy milk and stevia
Morning Snack#1:
1 flatbread with crunchy peanut butter
1 glass of water
Morning Snack:#2
1 jonagold apple
1 glass of water
Lunch:
1 garlic portobello veggie burger (I seriously have to come up with a recipe for these...)
melange of roasted vegetables with avocado lime sauce*
2 glasses of water
2 handfuls of sunflower seeds
Afternoon Snack:
1 flatbread with 1T guacamole, sunflower seeds and sprouts
1 glass of water
Dinner:
1 flatbread
This was small because I got hit with an upset stomach. I can't imagine what could have caused it because I wasn't eating anything terribly different. The veggies are all fresh, and washed well.


Notes:
  • I think for the next few days I will try just a single piece of fruit for breakfast and then something a bit more substantial for the morning snack.
  • I am going to keep a sharp eye on carbs like bread and rice. I think that too much of even the whole wheat breads can throw my blood sugar off and start the cravings.
  • I am really annoyed at Blogger lately. It's screwing up my templates. I switched to the basic one until they work out the kinks or until I can figure it out on my own.
  • Ok, I think I've got the template problem squared away. We'll see.
  • Unsolicited comments about the diet piss me off. If people think that they ought to be free to poke at vegetarians, then the fat-asses out there ought to be prepared for criticism of every snack cake bite that they take. Really, just mind your own business, will you?
  • The other thing I've noticed just in one week as that all of a sudden people feel as though they have to justify their choice to eat meat and dairy.

    I'll say it again: I don't fucking care what you eat. There's no need to say, "Oh, I only eat meat occasionally. I eat mostly chicken or fish anyway."

    Good for you. I'm not your mom or your wife; I don't have to cook for you, you're an adult. I'm not judging you for your food choices, really. We're each of us only responsible for ourselves. When I say, "I don't care what you eat," I really, really mean it. No, really. No sarcasm at all; rare for me, I know, but there ya go. :)




*Melange of roasted vegetables with avocado lime sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cauliflower, broken into large florets
  • 2 onions, sliced thickly
  • 5 large cloves of garlic, peeled, but left whole
  • 1/3 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 8 cherry tomatoes

  • 1 avocado
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • juice of one lime
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 1 T sunflower seeds
  • cumin
  • chili powder
  • salt and pepper
  • water


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. Spray a roasting pan with olive oil (I use a Misto pump).
  3. Put the cauliflower florets in the pan and top with onion slices and garlic cloves Roast for 10 minutes.
  4. Take out and add the bell pepper and cherry tomatoes. Roast for an additional 20 minutes.
  5. Make the sauce by combining the avocado, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, sunflower seeds and spices in a food processor. Pulse until smooth, then add the water until you get the consistency you like.
  6. Serve the sauce over the roasted vegetables.
Note on recipe: Next time I may reduce the amount of garlic or use roasted garlic instead. Also I think I'll increase the amount of sunflower seeds.



0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails