Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 2: Thirsty and Hungry

Well, I made it through the first day and it wasn't hard. I didn't have the insane carb-cravings I usually get at the beginning of the South Beach Diet, and to be honest, I didn't even have many carbs yesterday. The carob drink was a lovely surprise.

I also felt some spring in my step when I was out at the store. I didn't have that lead-weight feeling that has been plaguing me the past year.

I do have the headaches from detoxing as all the shit in my systems leaches out. I even had dreams about detoxing on a juice fast!

Breakfast:
Green smoothie-
  • 3 bananas
  • 2 rings of pineapple
  • 3 oz baby spinach
  • 1/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  1. Put it all in a blender and mix well.
  2. Drink!
  3. I drank about 2/3 of that and put the rest in the fridge
This was delicious. The pineapple-banana flavor took center stage. There was no hint of the spinach's bitterness, though it was most certainly green!
1 glass water
1 multivitamin, 1 fish oil, 1 flax oil, 1 EPO
1 cup coffee, soymilk and stevia

Morning Snack#1:
Babs's Warm Carob Drink (I was really cold and wanted something warming)

Morning Snack#2:
small apple with peanut butter
1 glass water

Morning Snack#3:

1 avocado, diced
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies, drained
juice of 1/2 lime,
salt, pepper and chili powder
2 glasses water
Note:(10 am) I am really hungry today. Maybe I need to have something with the green smoothie, or maybe I'm doing ok eating every 1 1/2hours or so. We'll see how this plays out.


Lunch:
garlic portobello veggie burger (from Veggie Patch)
1/2 English cucumber, diced
1/3 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup crunchy sprouts
1 medium tomato, diced
1/4 cup of hummus

1 glass water
1 cup ginger tea


Snack:
2 TB crunchy peanut butter straight from the jar
1 glass water
Snack:
remaining 1/3 of the green smoothie

Dinner:
garlic portobello veggie burger
1/2 English cucumber, diced
1/3 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup crunchy sprouts
1 medium tomato, diced
1/4 cup of hummus
2 glasses water
1 Evening primrose oil capsule, 1 flax oil, 1 fish oil


Snack:
2 glasses water
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup of jarred salsa
1 Tb fresh lime juice

homemade corn and red pepper tortillas/crackers<--recipe still in flux
  • 1 cup coarse corn meal
  • 1 T salt
  • 1 1/2 t chili powder
  • 1/4 cup corn kernels
  • 1/3 of a red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 T olive oil
  • appr 3/4 to 1 cup very hot (near boiling) water
  1. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Put corn and bell pepper in food processor, pulse until coarsely smashed.
  3. Add the corn and pepper mixture to the dry ingredients, drizzle the olive oil and mix well.
  4. Slowly pour the water and mix until it is all incorporated. Spread mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and flatten with a spatula.
  5. Spray the top with olive oil (I have mine in a Misto pump bottle) and sprinkle with sea salt
  6. Cook in a preheated 425° oven for 12 minutes, then flip it, respraying and salting. Put it back in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
  7. Take out and enjoy.

Ok, these were very, very tasty, but not quite dry and crisp. The next time I make this I may have to see if I can flatten them more, or perhaps add more dry ingredients, like more cornmeal or flaxseed meal for a drier dough. I could knead the dough with the extra meal. Perhaps I'll let them cook longer or even drop them by spoonfuls and flatten them that way instead of one large piece. The edges were browning nicely, so maybe smaller is the way to go.

Notes:
  • I was quite thirsty all day
  • I woke up earlier than I have been the past 8 months and I did not wake up ravenous
  • My headaches were much less noticeable
  • There were times that I'd get up and move around, and I felt the absence of that heavy weight tied to my waist. I actually felt lighter.
  • I started out really hungry, but it leveled off by the end of the day.
  • Also, I meditated for a half hour. It felt good to start that up again.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails